Successful Life Coaching & Leadership Development
e-Newsletter #8, September/October, 2008
This monthIncrease Your Happiness
1. HappinessIt’s Within Your Power to Achieve
2. Easy tips to improve your health.
3. Favorite websites.
According to Robert Holden, the director of the Happiness Project in the United Kingdom “the first and most important step toward becoming happier is your intention…you have to make the decision to be happy.”
Intention is just another word for focus.
Whatever you focus on will grow or increase. Focus on happiness and you will find that you are a happier person.
Here are some simple things that you can do increase your happiness:
- Decide what happiness means to you. This will make it easier for you to focus on what you want.
- Make a list of the things you enjoy doing. Check off those things that you do regularly and make a note of the ones that you would like to do more often.
- Do some form of physical movement EVERY DAY! Adding music makes this even more effective.
- Spend time with friends and family. One of the biggest blocks to happiness is ISOLATION.
Of course you can do nothing special and still become happier as you grow older.
A huge research project involving 30,000 people, of all ages, was conducted at the University of Chicago between 1972 and 2004.
The research findings might surprise you. The findings suggest that as people age they tend to become happier.
One possible reason for this is that as we age we may lower our expectations for life and begin to appreciate what we’ve achieved rather than dwelling on what we haven’t got.
In fact, we don’t have to wait until we grow old to find the secret to happiness. The Dalai Lama reminds us that, “happiness is not to have what we want but rather to want and appreciate what we have.”
More Tips to Improve Your Health:
If you are frustrated because you can’t seem to maintain your exercise program for more than a month--take heart-- you are not alone.
Research confirms what most of us already know. About 1⁄2 of us will quit exercising in the first month. You can improve the odds by finding an exercise buddy, hiring a personal coach or fitness trainer or joining a group.
This month’s favorite websites:
Awakening joy is a 10 month course that can be taken on-line or in the classroom.
You must register to access the information and resources on this site. Registration is free and the site is supported by the University of Pennsylvania. There are a number of questionnaires available including the “authentic happiness inventory questionnaire.”